Subtitle: Wonderful Amazon and wonderful England.
Marcus and Agata have now moved out of Switzerland and right now we begin to enjoy the advantages of living in a country we fully understand, with a finely developed retail system.
So I made a product return. Something that I will explain is not usually possible in Switzerland
Amazon is Wonderful
If you live in the UK, and are adept, or have a need for online ordering with next day delivery on over 1 million items you would be a total idiot not to join Amazon Prime
Besides this and the ability to use Amazon Video, or Amazon Music, Amazon purchases also entitle you to
return bought items, for any reason within 30 days
No questions asked!
Only by exception will an Online or a Physical store allow a return of goods that is not faulty.
In true "Buyer beware" style if it was not the right colour, or you just did not like it. Tough luck. They may insist that you
- Return the product in original packaging
- Return the product in unopened packaging (??)
- Return with X days of order (not delivery)
- Return for a credit note only
Goodbye Netgear SRX5308
Our Quad WAN port, VPN capable firewall arrived. But after over 30 minutes of trying it was pretty much dead as a dodo
- On power ON, the Test light is hard ON. This is not correct
- The Hard Reset (pressing the reset button on the back for 8 seconds) did not work
- No IP addresses were seen to be available via any DHCP LAN connection
- From a Linux command line from my 192.168.1.x computer I could not reach the Netgear at the default 192.168.1.1
Eventually I connected a Serial cable and interface and using putty connected to the port. Do inspect the above diagram (click to enlarge)
- So the unit is alive
- Some tosser has badly flashed both boot images
- You see the bootloader start
- But it can't get any further
- And the bootloader has no intelligence to reflash the image (I tried tftp tftpd, no joy etc)
I then tried to register the product at the Netgear website, but somebody else already has. Hmm. So I am unable to make a warranty or support call / claim
There was nothing else to do but make an Amazon return.
And, again amazingly Amazon allows you to do this for free. You print out a label for either the Post office or 'Pass my Parcel' and Amazon picks up the cost.
It is just frikkin incredible.
Here is the Amazon Prime Link
It is about 80 GBP per year
You get 1 day delivery, Amazon Music and Amazon Video
30 day no quibble return policy
Why would one shop anywhere else?